Friday, January 15, 2010

Adding delayed reactions to rig

Came across a handy rigging tip today from a video David McMahon linked me earlier. It was a youtube video done by Aaron Holly of Fahrenheit Digital with how to make muscles flex before the joints actually move, to simulate the actual driving of the muscles before an action. It's done with expressions, which I'm not too fond of, but it works and I haven't figured out a better way than that yet. It's keyable, so I thought of trying to use it to add delay to something instead and that's basically what the videos down here are showing.

On the Bug Crew project there's a character that basically is driving a mechanized suit much like the one in Avatar or Matrix. They wanted the appendages of the suit to follow the rotations of the main character, that's going to be standing in the center, but with delay. I haven't received the model yet but I was originally going to make a script that copied animation with an offset from the character to the mech, but instead this expression would provide instant feedback to the animator and it's keyable to their taste, so it works out better this way.

I did the test on my Female Blank rig I did for 24 HourBloodline, which is usually the rig I do most of my tests on when I need a rig to practice. It's a simple biped that is easily modified. I'll probably use it for testing muscle on as well.

Here it is with a 3 frame delay:

Here's the 5 frame delay:

And the 10 frame delay:

Probably not the best quality the way it's uploaded here. The original files look better and it's a very quick and basic test on just the Clavicle, Shoulder, Elbow, and Wrist joints. Sorry if it's hard to see, didn't expect the window to be so small. It'll definitely look better on the finished model and his mechanized suit. I just like how learning new techniques leads to improving ideas on other techniques in a whole different mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment