Sunday, January 10, 2010

Rhino Rig Part 2

First of all, here's a couple screenshots of the wireframe:


It's not a bad model at all by any means. It's pretty detailed, but I do worry that it may be too much detail, or at least too dense in certain areas that may not need to be that dense. Like I noted in the other post, the feet and the folds in the skin do worry me. I'd love any comments from other riggers on what they feel about this model, and I can take more screenshots as needed.

I'm not very used to some of the edge loops like behind the knee and on areas of the back where it meets the folds. This could play to my advantage in terms of deformation, or it may not. I have to be careful about those areas to make sure they deform right.

The first thing I did after looking over the model was to go online and look up some Rhino reference videos. I need to check out how much motion and what kinds of deformations I would need to have on the rig. I should note that the goal is for a realistic rig, which as you can see from the render of the other post, too much stretch is going to stand out like a sore thumb with how this character is textured. It's always important to have live reference before even starting to rig so you get an idea of what you need to match up to.

I have to say I was pretty surprised how much more flexible the skin looks on the real rhino than what some of us may have been led to believe. It's definitely thick and tough, but yet it seems more malleable than not. Also, they don't act stiff when they are active. It will be a fun challenge to see if I can give the character just the right amount of flexibility and keep it looking realistic. I definitely think I will have to use a muscle system extensively to get not only the skin to look right, but the jiggle and secondary movements like the stomach and neck areas.

Research Research Research. That's all I have to say before I even place my first joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment