Monday, April 5, 2010

A quick splash of updates

The past couple of mouths have been real busy for me. Haven't had a chance to update till now, which I'm hoping to finish before my breakfast gets cold. Up till yesterday I was working on Luis Nieves' Bug Crew project. It involved rigging his primary character and the armored suit he rides in, which my previous post showed some of the RnD I was doing for it. I'll do my best to post some images or videos of that as soon as I can. I'm waiting for some watermarks and possibly an animation to show.

GDC also passed a couple weeks back. Really wanted to post when that was still fresh on my mind but better late than never. I have learned a few things going there for my second year. First, the position of Technical Director is pretty much reserved for people with a number of years of experience and it was much easier as a new graduate to go around meeting people as a Character Rigger than a TD, which for some reason all the riggers were calling themselves TDs as of late. As in high demand riggers are for all the various projects at school, it really isn't easy to find a position whenever I go to GDC. The ones I found were mostly overseas. As much as I want to travel, I have to stay in the Bay Area for the meantime until I work out some things. Maybe I'll get lucky and land a local rigging job after this year's Spring Show.

This year seemed to have a lot less about MoCap than the previous. A lot more about motion sensors related to 3D user input this year. The 12 foot tall hamster ball that you could walk in was interesting, but a deathtrap waiting to happen. I much prefer the multiple linked treadmills for any kind of stationary multi-directional movement. Something like that looks promising if they ever made it affordable.

I'm going to continue rigging the Rhino now that I have free time to do so again. So much more to write but I'll find some time later to do so. I think my food is already cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment